Aloo Bonda – Batatta Vada
Aloo bonda is a popular tasty Indian street snack . It is Mumbai’s popular fast food snack, Batata Vada .In south India this snack is called aloo bonda and in Mumbai it is known as batatta vada. When Batata Vada is sandwiched between pav (bread) it becomes a Vada Pav which Ranbir Kapoor Selling in color’s Sapane and another famous street food snack in Mumbai’s . It is basically deep fried snack made with gram flour batter and stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes. It is very tasty if served hot.View our Gallery >>
Prep time – 10 mins Cooking time – 25 mins
Serves –10 – 12 bondas
- Potato(boiled peeled and mash) – 4
- Onion – 2
- Green chilli – 6
- Ginger, finely chopped – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to test
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves (dhaniya)
Ingredients for the batter :
- Besan (gram flour) – 1/2 cup
- Rice flour – 1.5 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Asafetida (Hing) – ½ tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Turmeric – 2 pinches
- Salt to test
- Wate – 1/4 cup
- Oil to fry
Prepare the filling:
- Boil the potatoes and mash it properly.
- Heat the oil in a pan till crackle the mustard seeds.
- Add the chopped onion and saute till they are get soft , no need to fry it till become brown.
- Add finely chopped ginger and green chilli .
- Add chopped Coriander (dhaniya)
- Fry it for few seconds, it should not change its color. Add turmeric and salt.
- Add cooked, mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Stir for 2 minutes an drizzle a tsp of oil.
- Transfer to a plate and cool down.
- Make 12 equal sized balls and set aside.
Prepare the batter:
- In a bowl mix besan, rice flour, salt, asafetida, chilli powder,turmeric and baking powder.
- You can add chopped coriander leaves and green chillies as an option
- Add water slowly to make a thick and smooth batter. Set aside.
Deep frying bondas /Vadas:
- Heat the oil in a deep pan. When the oil gives hard smoke (It is really Hot), reduce the flame to low-medium.
- Dip the potato ball in the batter one by one and fry it .
- Flip the balls after a min .Fry the aloo bonda till golden color on both sides.
- Drain aloo bonda on paper towels or tissue papers to remove excess oil.
- Now Aaloo Bonda is ready to serve.
- Decorate using green Coriander .fried chillies and raw Onion .
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
- The batter Should be thick else the look of the vadas will not be round and smooth.
- You can replace red chilli powder with pepper powder for batter.
- Mashed the potatoes without any lumps.
- Fry the balls according to pan capacity otherwise they will mix and may crack .