Masoor Dal Khichdi – Lentil Khichdi
Baby’s first food is the most important for any mother how to introduce ,what to introduce and when to introduce to our little Baby. Khichdi is considered as a light food for adults as well as kids .Khichdi is nutritious and easy to digest food. Most of the mother prefer rice as their baby’s first cereal as rice contains many nutrients in balanced ratio which is important for growing baby .
Nutrition In Rice :
- Saturated fat
- Polyunsaturated fat
- Monounsaturated fat
- Dietary fiber
Nutrition In lentil bean :
- Calories 116/100gram
- Dietary fiber
- Vitamin C,D,B
You can slowly introduce cereals such as suji, and sabudaana with your baby’s meals. And you can also add any extra fats such as ghee or butter to your baby’s daily diet as per his/her digestion power , consulting with doctor may help you to decide a best diet as well . It is best to introduce cereals like wheat and oats, after your baby is eight months old. By this age your baby’s stomach is strong enough to digest such cereals. before serving always check the taste and temperature of the food . This traditional meal is a good source of protein, vitamins, calcium and starch.
- Masoor dal / lentil (Lens culinaris) – 2 tbsp
- Rice – 2 tbsp
- Salt for test
- 2 cups boil water
- A pinch of turmeric (haldi)
- Carrot or use vegetable as a variation
- Butter – 2tsp
- Wash the rice and dal well.
- Put the rice, dal, vegetable, water and turmeric in a pressure cooker.
- Cook for about 5-6 whistles or 1/2 hour.
- Mash well and serve.
- You can alter the consistency by adding or reducing the water. More water will make the khichdi creamier and less water will make it grainy.
- Once your baby adjusts to khichdi made from 1 part dal, 2 part rice to a 1:1 ratio of dal and rice and you can use another daal as well.
- You can mash the khichdi using grinder as well
- You can add some butter (Good Quality)
It is strongly recommended you exclusively breastfeed your baby for the first six months,you should not give water as well to your baby or consult with your doctor . After six month, you can slowly introduce solid foods and drinks to your baby .
You should check what food baby is easily digesting else immediately change it or consult your Doctor .
Maintain hygiene when handling baby food.