Bengali kitchen is incomplete without poppy seeds because they are using it most of the veg or non veg recipes . Aaloo Posto is one of the common curry for every Bengalies . They used to have it at least once in a week. So below is the recipe is very simple and very tasty Bengali Aaloo Posto. Poppy seeds are "Posto" in Bengali and "Khus Khus" in Hindi and Urdu.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 15minutes
- Potatoes (peeled and cut in cubed) - 3 to 4
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tbsp
- Poppy seeds (khus khus) - 4 tbsp
- Panch Phoron (mix of 5 whole Indian spices seeds) - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Dry red chilli - 1
- Bay Leaf - 2
- Green chilies - 3 to 4
- Tomato (chopped) - 1
- Fresh coriander for garnishing
- First grind poppy seeds in a mixer with ½ cup water and 2 green chilies into a paste . It should be a thick in consistency.
- Heat up oil in a kadai/pan till reaches smoking level.
- Add bay leaf,dry red chillies and when they start to darken.
- Then put panch Phoron when it will start splatter.
- Add potato cubes and shallow fry for two to three minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder, tomato and salt, mix well.
- Add half cup of water, cover and stir fry on low heat up till the potatoes are almost done.
- Now Add the posto/poppy seeds paste and again cook on medium heat till the paste has uniformly coated the potatoes.
- This is a dry dish, so wait till most of the liquid evaporates.
- Garnish with a chopped coriander leaf and green chilli sliced.
- Serve it with steamed rice and daal .