Bengali Doi Maach (Fish in Yogurt Sauce)
Bengali people have variety of tasty and great fish recipes. “Doi Maach” is one of the famous among them .“Doi” is a Bengali word for Curd or Yogurt . So You got it , we are going to use Curd in this tasty and spicy fish Curry.
Prep Time: 5 min. Cooking Time: 25 min Serves: 2-3
- Rohu Fish/ Rui Maach – 4-5 big size Pieces (fried fish)
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Onion Paste – 2 tbsp.
- Ginger Paste – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Raw garam masala – 1 tsp
- Green chilies – 3 to 4
- Bay leaves – 2
- Tomato – 2
- Mustard Oil – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Whisk the curd well in a bowl and add the fried fish pieces to this and gently mix to coat well. Marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
- In the same remaining Oil from fish fry add bay leaves and lightly crushed whole spices and allow them to splutter.
- Now add the onion paste and saute it till it’s a light golden brown in color.
- Add in Ginger paste, Turmeric Powder, tomato paste and stir till light golden in color and the oil has surface to the top.
- Now add garam masala and marinated fried fish and mix well.
- Add in the green chilies and Water (1 and 1/2 cups) and mix very gently to mix the masala to the Water.
- Once mixed lower the flame, cover it and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve with steamed white rice or Chapati.