Panch Phoron Diye Patla Macher Jhol | Bengali Five Spice Fish Curry
One of the most important & common ingredient can be found easily in any Bengali kitchen is “Panch phoron” or “Bengali Five Spice”. It gives nice flavor and aroma to our dish so let’s try something new with this great ingredient and Fish from Bengali cuisine. Whenever we have no time and have to cook fish, cooking fish curry with this style and serving with hot white rice in lunch or dinner which is very easy and quick .We are Cooking it mostly in summer.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
1 kg of Rohu or katla (cut into pieces and washed, or you can find the pieces in market)
To marinate the fish:
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 3/4 tsp
- Mustard Oil – 1 tbsp
For the curry:
- Panch phoron or Bengali Five Spice – 2 tbsp
- Tomato – 4 medium size
- Green chili – 4 pic
- oil – 5 tbsp
- Ginger paste– 1 tsp
- Salt to test
- Coriander Leaf – 1 cup chopped
- First fry the fish (Click to see Recipe for Fried Fish)
- Heat the pan – once oil is hot, add Panch phoron.
- When they begin to crackle, add the tomato,Ginger paste and green chilli then saute.
- Now add water as per your requirement for gravy. Sprinkle salt and let the gravy bubble up.
- Now add the fish pieces. Cook covered on medium heat for 2-5 minutes.
- Spread the coriander leaves on top and mix it .
- Serve hot with hot plain rice.
Serve this Bengali hot and Spicy fish curry with Hot Plain white Rice .