Veg Cutlets (Bengali Vegetable chop)
Veg Cutlet is very popular snack all over India. Bengali love it and it is very famous in east and west bengal . You can find it in street food shop in kolkata easily. This snack item make with mix boiled vegetables. Hot veg cutlets serves with tomato ketchup and green chutney. it called “vegetable chop” in Bengal . There are many variety of chop like maacher (Fish) chop, aalur (Potato) chop, chicken chop, mutton chop or dimer (egg) chop. It is a very famous evening snack . we can enjoy with cup of tea or coffee.
Prep time – 20 mins Cooking time – 15 mins (filling) 20 mins, (frying)
Total time – 55 mins Serves –10 – 12 chop or cutlets
Ingredients for filling:
- Beetroot(grated) – 1 big
- Carrots(grated) – 2
- Ground nuts,roasted and peeled – 1/4 cup
- Coconut (fresh grated) – 2 tbsp
- Raisins – 2 – 3 tbsp
- Green chillies(finely chopped) – 3 to 4
- Ginger (grated) – 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- Refind oil – 1 tbsp
Ingredients for Outer layer:
- Potatoes boiled – 2 large
- Salt to tatse
- Corn flour/ Gram flour / Besan – 2 tbsp
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Fresh Bread crumbs – 1/2 cup
- Oil (to shallow fry chops) – 2-3 tbsp
- Chat masala(to sprinkle over the chops) -1 tsp
- Peel the skin of beetroot and carrots and grate them and keep aside.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a pan and add finely chopped green chillies and ginger and fry for a minutes.
- Add grated carrot,beetroot, suger and salt and fry on high flame for 3-4 mins until the water evaporates.
- Add cumin powder,raisins,grated fresh coconut,roasted and skinned peanuts and mix them thoroughly and let the mixture cool down completely.
Method to make outer layer:
- Pressure cook potatoes for 3 whistles until they are soft.Peel the skin and mash them nicely while they are still warm.
- Add salt and mix well and knead to a dough .
Method to make chops:
- Mix water to the corn flour and make a thin slurry out of it.
- Grease your palms and take a big lemon sized ball of potato dough and flatten it a bit and stuff it with 1 tbsp of filling mixture and seal it from all the sides and flatten it to a oval or round shaped.
- Dip the chop in a thin corn flour slurry mixture and immediately roll them in a bowl of bread crumbs and turn the chop to coat it with the bread crumbs on all sides evenly.Then fry them immediately.
- Heat tawa and add a couple of tsps of oil and place the chop and fry them over medium flame until crisp.Pour some oil over the top of the chop and turn them and fry the other until crisp.
Serve them hot with green chutney and tomato sauce or Serve them with evening tea/coffee.
- You can even deep fry them in a wide pan,but I prefer to use less oil and hence I shallow fry on tawa with less oil.
- If you want then serve starter with some aerated drinks/mocktails.
if you like please share, Like us on social media & subscribe us on youtube .