Bharwan baingan (Stuffed Fried Eggplant)
Bharwan baigan or stuffed Eggplant is one of the most famous dish from North Indian Cuisine . You can find this food item in North Indian Marriage Parties. Who does not like eggplant will like this tasty traditional dish .So lets try this tasty and famous dish of baby eggplant/brinjals or baingan.
Preparation time : 20 min Cooking time : 30 to 40 min
- Small round eggplants – 6
- Onion (finely chopped) – 3 to 4
- Coriander leaf (finely chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 3 to 4
- Garlic – 8 to 9 cloves
- Green Chili (finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- First Wash and clean the brinjals/Eggplant.
- Now make a slit at the bottom of the brinjal vertically towards the stem but make sure not to slice the brinjal in the half . just cut one side so we can fill the filling in it .
- Now bring the brinjal’s inner part with help of knife and spoon.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Now add Panch phoron and let them splutter.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, green chilly and saute for 5 to 6 min or until light brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, asafoetida, red chilly powder, turmeric, ginger paste and salt mix well. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring every 1-2 minutes.
- Now add inner part (which we have taken out in start) of brinjal in it & stir well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until oil separates.
- Add chopped coriander leaf and turn off heat.
- Let this filling masala cool down.
- Then ones at a time with help of your finger tips open the brinjal from cut mark.
- Now take approximately 1 teaspoon (depends on space in brinjal) full of masala and stuffed in the brinjal.
- In the same pan add 2 to 3 Tsp oil and fry the stuffed brinjals.
- Cover with lid and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the eggplants are cooked through.
- Turn the brinjals carefully (not to break or filling should not come out) every 2-3 minutes making sure all sides are cooked well.
- Now turn off heat and transfer the stuffed brinjals to a serving plate.
- Serve the stuffed baigan bharma with rice, roti or paratha.