Bharwan Karela or Stuffed Bitter gourd is a popular North Indian dish. This dish is one of the most loveable dish in Northern India. It is a side dish of main menu and rich in nutrition. But of its bitter taste, Many people and specially kids don't like karela but I will tell you how to reduce bitterness of this dish and make yummy for kids and adult. Let's checkout Bharwan Karela recipe which is one of the most authentic and traditional recipe in India'
Preparation time : 20 min
Cooking time : 30 to 40 min
- Small karela/bitter gourd – 8-9
- Onion (finely chopped) – 3 to 4
- Coriander leaf (finely chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 3 to 4
- Garlic – 8 to 9 cloves
- Green Chili (finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Oil for deep-frying
- First Wash and clean the karela/bitter gourd.
- Now make a slit in the karelas length wise and remove the seeds.
- Now add Panch phoron and let them splutter.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, green chilly and saute for 5 to 6 min or until light brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, asafoetida, red chilly powder, turmeric, ginger paste and salt mix well.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring every 1-2 minutes until oil separates..
- Add chopped coriander leaf and turn off heat.
- Let this filling masala cool down.
- Then ones at a time with help of your finger tips open the karela/bitter gourd from cut mark.
- Now take approximately 1 teaspoon (depends on space in karela/bitter gourd) full of masala and stuffed in the karela/bitter gourd.
- In the same pan add oil and fry the stuffed karela/bitter gourd.
- Cover with lid and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the karela/bitter gourd are cooked through.
- Turn the karela/bitter gourd carefully (not to break or filling should not come out) every 2-3 minutes making sure all sides are cooked well.
- Now turn off heat and transfer the stuffed karela/bitter gourd to a serving plate.
- Serve the stuffed karela/bitter gourd with rice, roti or paratha.
Buy Prestige Deluxe Total LS 750W 5 Jar Mixer Grinder with 1 Food Processor Jar