Dahi vada is one of the tastiest chaat which is very popular not only in North India but all over the world . It is usually prepare on every Festivals and Special occasions in India like Eid , Dussehra,Diwali and marriage . This mouth watering dish is served chilled with Tamarind chutney (Imli ki chutney).
- 3/4th cup mung dal (Mung bean) washed
- 3/4th cup urad dal (urad dal without skin known as Vigna mungo ) washed
- Oil to fry
- 2 cups thick fresh curd
- A pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 2 piece of ginger grated
- 2-3 green chillies finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups water
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds (slightly roasted and ground to a fine powder known as Ajwain)
- 1-2 tbsp chaat masala
- Chopped coriander leaves to garnish.
- 100 gms tamarind(Imli) ) (remove seeds)
- 300gms Jaggery (Gur) grated
- 4 cups warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
Method and Preparation of Dahi Vada:-
- Clean and soak both the dals (bean) in 4-5 cups of water for overnight .
- Grind it into a paste with grated ginger, chopped green chillies, Asafoetida (hing) and salt .
- You need to make the mixture thick otherwise making vada will be difficult.
- Still if the mixture turns out to be thin in consistency.
- Heat oil in pan.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai.
- Fry a small portion of the batter in hot oil to test if the batter holds well.
- Apply a little water on palm.
- Take a small portion of batter and pat lightly with damp fingers to flatten it.
- Gently put into hot oil.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Fry till Vadas are golden brown.
- Take out the vada in a large container and soak them in lukewarm salted water for 5 min.
Preparation For Dahi (Curd) And Serving :-
- Blend the curd with little water until it is smooth.
- Now add black salt. keep aside.
- Take out the vada from water and squeeze them to remove the excess water.
- Arrange them in a serving bowl and pour the curd mixer evenly to cover the vada completely.
- Now sprinkle red chilli powder ,roasted cumin powder , chaat masale powder and chopped coriander leaver.
- keep Dahi vada in freeze for an hour and served chilled with Tamarind Chutney.
- Add 4 cup of warm water to tamarind and cook it for 10 min.
- Strain it and add the Jaggery(Gur), chilli powder , salt and mix well.
- Cook again on medium flame till jaggery dissolved completely and the chutney get semi thick.