Diwali and Holi celebration is incomplete without this traditional sweet. Coconut gujiyas are the perfect Indian dessert . Gujiya is a traditional Holi and Diwali recipe. As mentioned in my earlier post about Mawa Gujiyas. Now I making coconut gujiya. Gujiyas are also prepared on other auspicious occasions like Rakhi , bhaiduj, Eid & Diwali. This special gujiya recipe uses coconut which is the main ingredient of this Indian dessert. Gujiyas are deep fried snacks so do not expect it to be a very healthy dessert.
Makes 12 Gujiyas: Ingredients: For The Outer Covering:
- Maida/Flour – 1 cup
- Ghee /Oil– 1 1/4tbs
- Leftover milk solids from making ghee - 2 cup
- Fresh grated coconut – 2 cup
Cashewnuts,chopped – 15
Almonds, chopped – 25g
- Raisins (Kishmish) – 25g
- Green cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Oil- For Deep Frying
- In a flat bowl, mix the flour and ghee or oil to form a crumbly mix that just about holds together.
- Add water little by little to form a firm dough.
- Divide it into 12 equal portions.
- Cover the dough with a damp towel. Keep aside.
- Heat a pan, add coconut, sugar and leftover milk solids from making ghee and mix well.
- Now add cashew,cardamom and raisins.
- Stir fry on a very low flame till it is a pale brownish color & dry and flaky.
- Now add green cardamom powder and mix well.
- Keep aside.
- Roll the ball into a puri, neither too thick nor too thin.
- Place a few tablespoons of the filling on the half of the circle.
- Brush the circle with water on one of the edges where the two edges will meet.
- Cover the other half and cut out the extra dough from the other sides.
- Press the edges and now pleat the gujiya along the edges. It is also press the edges with a fork.
- Make all the gujiyas in this way. cover them so that the dough does not dry out.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and deep fry the gujiyas in batches on a medium flame.
- When golden brown in colour, drain and remove.
- When cool store in airtight jar.
- Now Gujiyas are ready to taste and serve.