Ilish Macher Sorshe bata diye Jhal (Hilsa Fish in Mustard Gravy)
Ilish Fish is one of the tastiest and costliest fish. Bengali love it and prepare it in various ways like using mustard gravy, with onion tomato , fried or using banana leaf . Here is one of the famous ilish curry .
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Hilsa fish/ Ilish Mach – 5/7 pieces
- Turmeric powder – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Tomato (Chopped) – 2
For the mustard paste:
- Mustard seeds – 2 tbsp
- Poppy Seed (Posto/ Kuskhus) – 1 tbsp
- Green chilly – 4 to 5
- Grind the mustard, green chili and poppy seed to make a thick paste. (This paste called “shorshe bata”)
- Need fry the fish pieces (Click here for Fish Fry/Mach bhaja recipe)
- Heat the remaining oil and when it starts smoking and add tomato.
- Then Add the mustard paste. When mustard paste fried then add turmeric powder, salt and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add remaining mustard paste water from the grinder.
- Then add the fried fishes one by one and and turn or flip fishes to coat them properly with the mustard gravy.
- Add 1 cup of water and cook the gravy in low flame for 3-4 minutes and cover the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Switch the flame off and serve mustard fish curry with add 1 tbsp of Raw Mustard oil to the gravy, it will give nice aroma to curry .