Ilish Fish is one of the tastiest and costliest fish. Bengali love it and prepare it in various ways like using mustard gravy, with onion tomato , fried or using banana leaf . Here is one of the famous ilish curry .
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Hilsa fish/ Ilish Mach - 5/7 pieces
- Turmeric powder – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Tomato (Chopped) – 2
- Mustard seeds – 2 tbsp
- Poppy Seed (Posto/ Kuskhus) – 1 tbsp
- Green chilly – 4 to 5
- Grind the mustard, green chili and poppy seed to make a thick paste. (This paste called “shorshe bata”)
- Need fry the fish pieces (Click here for Fish Fry/Mach bhaja recipe)
- Heat the remaining oil and when it starts smoking and add tomato.
- Then Add the mustard paste. When mustard paste fried then add turmeric powder, salt and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add remaining mustard paste water from the grinder.
- Then add the fried fishes one by one and and turn or flip fishes to coat them properly with the mustard gravy.
- Add 1 cup of water and cook the gravy in low flame for 3-4 minutes and cover the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Switch the flame off and serve mustard fish curry with add 1 tbsp of Raw Mustard oil to the gravy, it will give nice aroma to curry .