Kanch Kolar Chop (Raw or green Banana Cutlets)
“Chops” are one of the famous evening and morning tea time snacks in Bengalies. They prepare veg chop, egg chop, chicken,mutton,fish etc chops for snacks to serve . “Kaach kolar chop” or Banana cutlet is one of the tasty, easy and delicious Bengali Snacks food item. Lets try this heavy for stomach and very tasty snacks item from Bengali Cuisine.
“Kanch” means kachaa (Raw or green) and kola means “Banana”
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Raw Banana (kanch kola) – 2
- Potato – 2 medium size
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Onion (Chopped) – 4 to 5
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder -1/2 tbsp
- Bread – 2 to 3
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Maida (flour) – 1/2 cup
- Salt as needed
- Sugar as needed (optional)
- Oil – for shallow fry
Method to make filling
- Cut the Raw Banana and potato from the middle and Boil till they are soft.
- Then peel the skin of the banana & potato .
- Now mash raw banana into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot add chopped onion , garlic and ginger paste and fry.
- After few min aroma of ingredients comes out then add mashed raw banana pulp and cook it on medium flame for 10- 12 minutes. Kip stirring else it may stuck at bottom of pan.
- Now add turmeric powder and salt , (sugar optional) and mix them thoroughly and after 3-4 minutes let the mixture cool down completely.
Method to make outer layer:
- Mash boil potato nicely while they are warm.
- Add salt and mix well and knead to a dough .
Method to make kachakola chops:
- Mix water to the flour and make a thin slurry mixture .
- Now grind the bread in grinder to make bread crumbs.
- Grease your palms and take a big lemon sized ball of potato dough and flatten it a bit and stuff it with 1 tbsp of banana filling mixture and seal it from all the sides and flatten it to a oval or round shape .
- Dip the chop in a thin flour slurry mixture and immediately roll them in a bowl of bread crumbs and turn the chop to coat it with the bread crumbs on all sides evenly.Then fry them immediately as below.
- Heat tawa and add a some tbsp of oil and place the chops and fry them over medium flame until they become crisp. Pour some oil over the top of the chop and turn them and fry the other until crisp.
Serve them hot with green chutney or tomato sauce and Serve in evening tea/coffee.