Lobongo Lotika is a traditional Bengali Sweet. Lobongo is Clove in English and Long in Hindi , this sweet named as clove is used to seal the envelop wrap around the filling . This dish made in two part. First part is make the mouth washing coconut stuffing and second part is make the body or wrapper of stuffing . Then stuffing is insert inside the wrapper and fold it like envelop and the envelop will enclose with cloves (1 to 4) are pressed over it . After that deep fry the stuffed envelop and soaked into the sugar syrup. That is why this sweet called ” Lobongo Lotika” in Bengali . The important feature is how the pastry is well folded and sealed with a clove.
See the Recipe below the Video ↓↓↓
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 mins
Outer Covering (Envelope) :-
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 1 Cup
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of baking powder
- Cloves – 20 intact (or as many as the number of lobongo lotikas)
- Oil/Ghee – 2 tbsp
For Stuffing :-
- Grated Coconut- 1 cup
- Sugar -1 Cups
- Crashed Green Cardamom (chhoti elaichi) – 4 to 5
- and other dry fruits if you want *
For sugar syrup:-
- Sugar – 1.5 Cups
- Water – 1 Cup
- Crashed Green cardamom (chhoti elaichi) – 4-5
Make the Dough :-
- Take maida in a bowl. To it add oil, salt, backing powder and mix well for 3-4 min.
- Then gradually add water and knead the flour into a dough.
- The dough will be a little stiff unlike the dough for luchi or poori. Make a smooth ball of dough. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes .
Make the Stuffing :-
- Heat a pan. Fry the grated coconut with sugar and mix it well and keep it in medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- Make the mix dry and separated, then take off from heat and set aside.
Make the Sugar Syrup :-
- Take a pan, pour sugar and water into a bowl and cook on low heat.
- Add crashed cardamom and mix them all together and stir till the sugar dissolves.
- Now put the pan on medium heat. The syrup till it starts thickening.
- Two string consistency is good for this kind of sweet.
Preparing lobongo lotika:-
- Divide the dough into 10-12 equal round balls.
- Roll the dough like very small pooris, place 2 tsp stuffing in the center.
- Fold the opposite ends to look similar like rectangles and then fold the remaining two ends to make a square wrap.
- Seal the center by inserting one clove and prepare the rest of the squares.
- Make rest of the Lobongo Lotikas just like this one. All the Lobongo Lotikas will look like a small flower.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying in a Kadhai.
- The oil should not be smokey.
- Add 3-4 lobongo lotikas and fry on low heat.
- Fry them on low heat to make them crispy.
- Flip frequently so that they turn brown evenly on both sides.
- Remove from pan once they turn light golden and dip them in sugar syrup.
- In this way make the rest of the Lobongo Lotika.
- After 10 minutes of adding the Lobongo Lotika to syrup, remove them and keep aside.
- Let Lobongo Lotikas to be cool.
- Serve at room temperature.