Mustard Fish Curry is a traditional authentic Bengali or East Indian dish. In Bengali it is called “Shorshe Bata Diye Maach er jhaal”. This is very easy to make. It can be make using hilisha ,katla etc fish . I have used rohu fish . Most important ingredient of this recipe is mustard seeds which gives nice and great aroma to this curry . So follow below English recipe or Hindi video and try it and serve with hot white rice and taste this traditional recipe .
- Rui Mach/ Rohu Fish – 5 medium size Pieces
- Mustard Seed – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Tomato (Chopped) – 2
For the mustard paste:
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 cup
- Poppy Seed (Posto/ Kuskhus) – 3/2 cup
- Green chilly – 4 to 5
- Grind the mustard, green chili and poppy seed to make a thick paste. (This paste called “shorshe bata”)
- Need fry the fish pieces (Click here for Fish Fry/Mach bhaja recipe)
- In the hot oil, add mustard seeds and let it fry till start crackled.
- Then Add the mustard paste. When mustard paste fried then add turmeric powder, salt, tomato and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add remaining mustard paste water from the grinder.
- Then add the fried fishes one by one and and turn or flip fishes to coat them properly with the mustard gravy.
- Add 1 cup of water and cook the gravy in low flame for 3-4 minutes and cover the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Switch the flame off and serve mustard fish curry with add 1 tbsp of Raw Mustard oil to the gravy, it will give nice aroma to curry .