Lau Ghonto is a Bengali authentic traditional dish. It is very easy,tasty and healthy dish. In this recipe main ingredient is bottle gourd which is called as LAUKI in Hindi,Lao in Bengali . Bottle gourd (lau / lauki) is good source of carbohydrates, Vitamin A, C and minerals. It helps in maintaining blood pressure and cholesterol , helps controlling diabetes, reduces fats and also useful in weight loss. It is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Bottle gourd high water content, it's very cooling and easy to digest. Hence, it is good choice to eat this vegetable to beat the heat.
Preparation time:20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Lauki/Bottle gourd - 3 cups (Peeled and chopped in small pieces)
- Cumin seeds ( jeera) - 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 cup (fine chopped)
- Urad Bari - 50 Gram (Optional)
- Bay leaves -1
- Green chili - 4
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp or as your taste
- Cooking oil - 3 tsp
- Fry urad dal bari till ligt red and keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan/ kadai for 2-3 minutes. Add bay leaves and cumin seed.
- Add chopped bottle gourd (lauki or lau) with salt, turmeric powder and green chili, ginger paste and then mix properly in same order.
- Cover the pan/ kadai and allow to cook till the bottle gourd(lauki or lau) becomes tender.
- Bottle gourd (lau) generally generates lots of water. While cooking your aim should be to dry up the water that it generates .
- Cover and cook it on slow heat until water dries up.
- Add fry urad dal baries and cover it with lid
- Remove the lid and let the excess water to release.
- Now add coriander leaves and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and served with hot plain rice.
- Normally if the bottle gourd is fresh you wouldn’t need to add additional water and both will be cook in the water released from the bottle gourd. So check while stirring and sprinkle a little water only if necessary.
- You may add fried “Bori/Bari” to the “Lau Ghonto”, to give the dish a crunchy twist.’(don’t forget to fry bori ahead of time)
- If you want you can add grated coconut as well .