Rajma a p isopular Indian vegetarian dish. It is thick gravy with lots of Indian whole spices and usually served with hot & Plain rice, Zeera rice, Veg Pulao, Paratha or roti. This dish is extremely popular in North India. North Indian peoples make this in almost every occasion. Rajma is of Indian origin, it is a part of regular diet in Northern India. Rajma that is redish in color than the deep dark red rajma variety. This rajama masala are soaked for overnight and cooked in a rich, thick creamy gravy on slow heat. I have tried Rajma Chawal (Rice) as Street food in Delhi and Jammu Vaisno Devi temple , and it was super in taste .They have served it with Lassi or Raita . In Delhi they have added some masala on it i think chaat masala ,which make it more tasty ,spicy and tangy . It is very tasty dish. Try it.
Rajama (red kidney beans),soaked overnight - 1 and 1/2 cup
Oil - 3 tsp
Bay leaves - 2
Onion - 1 medium size, make into paste
- Ginger paste - 1 tsp
- Ginger paste - 1 tsp
- Tomato - 2 medium size chopped
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Salt as per test
- A pinch of asafetida
- Coriander leaves,chopped - 1 tsp
- Wash and soak rajma overnight or for at least for 8 hours. (rajma will get double in size after soaking).
- The soaked rajma in about 3 cups of water in pressure cooker until rajma is soft and tender.
- Now take a non-stick pan, heat oil in it, add bey leaves, Cumin seeds and wait for splattering. When seeds will start splattering add the Onion Paste and fry till the paste becomes light brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Fry till golden and cooked. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, chili powder, garam masala powder and saute it till tomatoes become soft.
- Add the red kidney beans, 3 cups of warm water, asafetida, salt to taste and cook
- The curry should not be watery.
- It should have a smooth consistency
- Then mash a few rajma with the back of the spoon. this will help in thickening the gravy.
- Finally garnish rajma masala with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with boiled plain rice,roti or paratha in your dinner or lunch.