South Indian Sambar
Sambar is a popular dish from South Indian cuisine. It is made of tur dal (arhar dal), masoor dal(red dal) and vegetables. Sambar is one of the daily main courses items from South Indian meals and breakfast like idli, dosha, uthapam, plain rice, vada, upma, and just any south Indian snack. Sambar can be made with a variety of vegetables like brinjal or egg-plant, drumstick, pumpkin, radish, ladyfinger, onion etc.
Preparation Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 20 mins Makes 6 servings
- Bottle gourd – 1/2 cup
- Carrot – 1/2 cup
- Drumsticks – 2 no
- Eggplant- 1/2 cup
- Ladyfinger- 1/2 cup
- Kundru (dondakaya) – 1/2 cup (length wise two piece cut)
- Drumstick – 1/2 cup (finger sized cut )
- Onion – 3 no. (without chopped)
- Small onion – 5, sliced finely
- Toor dal – ¾ – 1 cup
- pink lentils or masoor dal – 1 cup
- Water – 2 to3 cups
- Garlic – 4 nos
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Tomato – 2, sliced
- Tamarind -adjust the qty as per your taste
- Sambar Masala powder – 1.5 – 2 tbsp
- Asafoetida (kayam) – ½ tsp
- Red chilly – 2
- Bay leaf – 2
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1tbsp
- Mustard – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 15 to 20
- Salt as per taste
- First boil the toor dal and masoor dal in a pressure cooker until soft and mashed .
- Heat oil in a pan and add dry red chillies, mustard seeds and Bay leaf .
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, turmeric, red chilli powder Coriander powder, hing, garlic pieces and sauté.
- Add drumsticks, eggplant, bottle gourd, carrot,Ladyfinger,curry leaves, onions and mix well.
- Add tomatoes, tamarind juice, sambar powder, salt and mix well
- add water and mix well
- Cover the pan with the lid and cook till the vegetables are boil.
- Add boiled and mashed dal, samber powder and place the lid and cook for another 20 mins on slow flame.
- Now switch off the flame and serve with hot rice, Dosa , Idli etc .
- You can add any vegetables you like most but make sure it should support the flavor of the dish